Saturday, June 04, 2005

"IT IS ELEMENTARY DEAR WATSON"



I was browsing the net today and chanced upon this website with the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I remember my first encounter with one of Arthur Conan Doyle’s books. I was 10 years old then, sitting and watching the telly with my grandfather. My aunt came up to me and handed me a book bound wonderfully well and it read “THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES”. I used to be busy with my Enid Blyton books and Mark Twains classics like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I looked at my aunt with a little bit of distrust and wondered out loud if this book she gave me was ever going to match Mark Twains books. I went up to my room closed the doors like I usually did and lay on my bed and started reading the book. After the first few pages I came to know that Sherlock Holmes was a chemist and that he was a man of limited all round abilities and that he was also a drug addict of sorts and to top it all a detective. I read on and discovered that Holmes also believed that the brain was like an empty attic and that was the reason why he did not believe in stacking up his attic with things that did not concern his profession, I was very impressed indeed. I read more and more and could not take my eyes off the book. A knock on the door brought me to my senses. It was morning and I had been reading the book all night. The detective had possessed my senses with his brilliance and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle became my favorite author for quite sometime after that.

Here is the link to the site I was talking about http://www.bakerstreet221b.de/canon/

I hope you all enjoy reading the best detective stories ever written…

Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Arvind Srinivasan said...

Robbie,

Holmes is, IMHO, the best written detective character.

The subject matter deals with every conceivable crime. Be it murder, petty offense, national security, husband turned beggar, step-dad turned runaway groom and what not.

I have read the series umpteen times and i'd never be shy of picking them up again.

Actually, there is some 'txt' zip that is avl since during Doyle days, copyright was not in effect.

Robbie said...

Yeah I agree with you and where do u get the txt.zip files? Is there a website. The link I have given here gives you the comprehensive collection of sherlock holmes stories. Give me a link to the zip files if they are online.

Arvind Srinivasan said...

Don't remember which site exactly, but a quick google brought me back the following links

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/richmond/88/doyle.htm
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1661
http://www.gutenberg.lib.md.us/index/by-author/do4.html